Saturday, May 9, 2015

A Completed Split Top Roubo Workbench of Tropical hardwood.


 
Split Top Roubo Bench made of tropical hardwood.

 Updated : January 13, 2016
Most recent posting on Sam Maloof's Inspired Rocker : Rocker Template ready to go
Plus an additional link to the my Sam Maloof Inpired Rocker blog located beside home icon.

Updated : August 01, 2015

My next project will be a Sam Maloof's Inspired Rocker in Meranti Wood .

 Updated : June 23, 2015

This  Split Top Roubo Workbench is also featured at The Wood Whisperer and Lumberjocks website.


Updated : May 09, 2015

Duration                   : 25 months, inclusive of 12 months for wood drying time and bench parts 
                                   gathering.

Type of Wood          : Tropical hard wood, Shorea genus of Dipterocarpaceae family wood or 
                                  simply called  “Kayu Meranti" here in Malaysia.

Parts                       : Benchcrafted Tail Vise,  Wagon Leg Vise (various local hardware stores).

Person involved    : Myself

Wood Finish        : Linseed Oil only.

Tools                    : Hand tools ( Chisels, mallets, hand saw, etc.), Power tools (trimmer, router, 
                               mitre saw, jig saw, hand sander, hand planer, etc.)




This Split Top Roubo Workbench was completed not without any minor mistakes. These minor mistakes  are corrected and readjusted accordingly. 

First, it was the joining of the not so dry bench top leaving a 2mm-3mm of gap in between. It was rectified by inlaying a piece of small 5mm by 11mm. http://split-top-roubo-bench.blogspot.com/2015/03/split-top-roubo-bench-progress-as-of_31.html

Second, (big time stupid mistake) by cutting the extra protruding part of  leg vise to match the table top. Accidentally cut 10mm deep, 1/3 length below the table top length. It was then corrected by filling it with pieces of wood sheets and painted. Not so visible after all.(shown in pic a, b, c.)

Third, the tail vise dovetails gap. Still dumbfounded by this mistake. However, I think the mistake was the asymmetrical front and back of the dovetail tenon. I then use it to stencil the mortise to the end cap. The problem was solved by filling up the gaps using sheets of thinly sliced wood.http://split-top-roubo-bench.blogspot.com/2015/05/split-top-roubo-bench-progress-as-of.html

 Anyways, I'm glad that I've completed this Split Top Roubo Workbench and now I can continue on to the next project. I took  25 months to complete this workbench, inclusive of 12 months of wood collection and drying. Also not to mention accumulation of tools at the same time.

Updated May 09,2015 : I'm also actively involved in Lumberjocks forum, link here


pic a

pic b

pic c





















1 comment:

Total Pageviews

sitemeter

Google+ Followers