Tuesday, March 31, 2015

(The Signature Red Accent) Split Top Roubo Bench Progress as of March 31, 2015

I have been busy compiling pics I've taken on my woodwork. So far, mostly all components of the bench have been completed (bench top, legs, stretches, leg vise, gap stop, shelve board, dog holes, etc) except for the tail vise, bench dogs and hold fast.

As of today, I think I've only screw up one minor part of the bench which is the bench top. I was being too impatient when gluing two pieces of the bench top together rather than waiting for the wood to dry completely after milling it.

As a result, Both pieces of glued bench top are held together with dowels warped a little leaving a small 2-4 mm gap in between of the two pieces of wood.

To rectify the problem, I then route a 6mm deep gap between the two pieces of wood and inlay it with a piece of wood to cover the obvious 2-4 mm gap hole. The protruding glued inlay was then trimmed off using a block plane. It was a cosmetic touch up that have corrected the problem and is treated as a design style from my mistake.

I've also completed the shelve board for the bench by using 7.5" by 1/2" board.

Below are some pics of the problem and its solutions.

Update:  (as of April 01, 2015)

Purchasing a holdfast will cost me a fortune if I were to order it online especially with shipping cost.  A workbench holdfast is simply not available here in Malaysia (don't even mention getting a Roubo Holdfast).

Anyways, I'm researching on how to forge a Roubo Holdfast and needed help. Please leave comments, ideas, methods ways on how to forge a holdfast. I also appreciate any recommendation of any helpful links, blogs or websites on forging a holdfast.

Visible 2-4 mm gap between 2 piece of glued bench top as a result of warping when gluing 2 not so dry wood together.


Visible 2-4 mm gap between 2 piece of glued bench top as a result of warping when gluing 2 not so dry wood together.



To rectify the problem a 5mm x 11mm gap is routed between the gap and later inlay with a piece of wood.

To rectify the problem a 5mm x 11mm gap is routed between the gap and later inlay with a piece of wood.

To rectify the problem a 5mm x 11mm gap is routed between the gap and later inlay with a piece of wood. The protruding inlay is yet to be trim of using a block plane.

As you can see, the right side of the bench top hasn't been inlay with a piece of wood yet. You can also noticed that the shelve bench has been completed.

Presto! Here are the end result of the cosmetic finished on my bench top.

Presto! Here are the end result of the cosmetic finished on my bench top.
Bench top has just been coated with linseed oil. It will take a couple days for it to settle into the wood. By then it will be a darker color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

sitemeter

Google+ Followers